Agriculture Laboratory

Location

Sam Houston Avenue
Map | ID#: 0016a


Timeline

1951:
Constructed

c.1987:
Demolition


Demographics

Namesake:
None

Architect:
Unknown

Contractor:
Unknown


About

The Agriculture Laboratory was a structure located west of the Industrial Arts Building and the main quadrangle between Sam Houston Avenue and University Avenue.

The building was commonly referred to as the Meats and Milk Processing Lab, where meat and pasteurized milk from the college farms and dairy (both the college farm and County Campus) were brought to be sold to the on-campus dining halls. In the mid-1980s, with the university no longer operating a dairy or processing milk products, the meat processing functions were moved into a newly-constructed addition of the Abattoir Building at the Agriculture Center along Interstate 45.

In the mid-1980s this area along Sam Houston Avenue - and the site of the nearby Halley Building to the north - was redeveloped into green space and a parking area.

Photographs


Agriculture Laboratory

An early photograph of SHNI shows the land along Avenue L (Sam Houston Avenue) dotted only with tennis courts and the campus power plant.


Agriculture Laboratory


Agriculture Laboratory

The entrance to the Agriculture Lab building, just west of the Industrial Arts Building.


Agriculture Laboratory

This aerial photograph from the early 1960s shows the congestion of buildings tacked along Sam Houston Avenue: the Student Union Building, the Halley Building, the agriculture lab, and the power plant.



Sources

  • Dale Barebee (2009)
  • Interview with Bobby Lane (2009)

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

About the site

The Buildings of Sam Houston State University website documents the physical changes of the SHSU campus in Huntsville from its inception in 1879 through tomorrow. The alumnus-run site details changes to the academic, residential, and historical buildings and other prominent landmarks.