Alumni Garden

Location

Central Campus
Map | ID#:


Timeline

Oct. 25, 2002:
Dedicated

2003:
Clock added


News


Demographics

Namesake:
None

Architect:
Unknown

Contractor:
Unknown


About

The SHSU Alumni Garden is located on the northern edge of the Mall between the Lowman Student Center and Rather Communication Building on the site of the President's House and what was later used as a drop-off area for the LSC.

Alumni bricks were originally closer in vicinity to the nearby Alumni Fountain but removed due to the high-volume foot traffic. The landscaped garden now features granite bricks and benches as a permanent memorial to university alumni and friends.

In 2003, a 16-foot tall E. Howard Post clock replica was added to the garden through the contributions of Ron and Ruth Blatchley.

The Presidents Tree is at the southeast corner of the garden.

Photographs


Alumni Garden

Inside the garden are granite bricks and benches to celebrate university alumni and friends.


Alumni Garden

A plaque out front identifies the efforts of the SHSU Alumni Association in getting this garden off...or in...the ground.


Alumni Garden

No lonely faces here: Ron and Ruth Blachley donated the $30,000 to purchase the sixteen-foot Howard clock. Each face features the letters that make up the name "Sam Houston" in place of the numbers (therefore, it's half-past A o'clock).



Comments

comments powered by Disqus

About the site

The Buildings of Sam Houston State University website documents the physical changes of the SHSU campus in Huntsville from its inception in 1879 through tomorrow. The alumnus-run site details changes to the academic, residential, and historical buildings and other prominent landmarks.