Elliott Hall is a dormitory at the northwest corner of Avenue J and 17th Street. It was the third student residence constructed on campus and has remained women-only since its opening.
Prior to the construction of the dorm this corner was home to Mrs. Harry Mayís boarding house, the College Cleaners, and the Co-Ed, an apparent general store and meeting place.
Begun in 1940, the 1941 Alcalde says the residents of the new four-story dormitory "enjoy bed rooms finished in varying color schemes. The dining room of Belvin Hall is connected to the new dormitory and the girls in both halls use its facilities. These dormitories compare favorably with any in the state. " A dedication plaque reads: "That out daughters may be cornerstones, polished after the similitude of a palace (Psalm 144:12)." 
Mrs. Ross "Mom" Harris was the first director, or dorm mother .
Inside were rooms for students and dorm assistants (precursors to residence assistants), a foyer for entertaining and socializing, and, on the "garden floor", another lounging area. Outside is a columned portico inscribed with the dormís namesake, a small yard where the two wings meet, and a covered walkway for access to Belvin-Buchanan and King halls.
For a time up to the mid-1970s the dorm was freshmen-only . The 1964 Alcalde notes the dorm housed 148 girls; this number has decreased slightly over the years (134 by 2000, and 128 by 2010).
A memorial plaque to Frank Cloud, a former director of Housing and Food Services, was erected outside the southern entrance.
comments powered by Disqus