The Evans Complex is a four-story classroom and office building along the western edge of the quadrangle. Originally constructed as two separate buildings for music and English classes, the remodeled building houses the departments of English and Foreign Languages.
Music classes were originally located in a small wooden building east of the Industrial Arts Building ; these classes later moved to the Austin and Main buildings before finding a home in the re-purposed, post-1930 Peabody Building. Two decades later, in 1952, the university’s first permanent Music Building was constructed adjacent to the Estill Library. It contained classrooms, offices, and vocal and instrument practice areas. In 1964, with a need for enlarged facilities, this building was rechristened Music 1 and the former Student Union Building was renamed Music 2.
In 1959, the Evans English Building was built between the Music and Graphic Arts buildings. Originally meant for both the Art and English programs , the new building “furnished adequate offices for all current staff members, and provided space for the valued Teaching of English laboratory and for a small meeting hall on the ground floor ."
Through the miracle of modern construction technology, in the late-1980s, Music 1 and the Evans English Building were combined with the construction of a bridged middle section. By this time the building housed the departments of English and Foreign Languages, which had been housed in AB1.
The Texas Review, a literary journal founded by Distinguished Professor of English Paul Ruffin and first published in 1976 (as The Sam Houston Literary Review), has headquarters and offices on the ground floor.
The large cedar tree in the garden behind the complex served as the original university Tree of Lights (1921-66).
comments powered by Disqus