The Halley Building was a four-story structure that housed the military school in its early years and later biology and home economics courses. The 1987 Alcalde notes that the 45 year old building was constructed with brick because steel was hard to come by during World War II.
Sam Houston Avenue
Map | News | ID#: 0017a
||Northern half constructed
||Southern half addition
The Main Building overlooks the then-newly constructed Student Union Building and Halley Building.
The completed addition in 1959.
The plaque noting the redevelopment of the Halley area.
A view looking toward Austin Hall on the former Halley site.
A 1978 fire in the building destroyed a 15,000-speciman herbarium created by S.R. Warner.
Buildings that stood along Sam Houston Avenue - both the Halley and Woods buildings and the Ag Lab - were removed as part of the Campus Master Plan to create a greenbelt area between Sam Houston Avenue and the main quadrangle.
While the building is long gone, the name Halley still remains in the area, reduced to a easily-missed knee-level plaque noting the Halley Site Redevelopment Project. The plaque is west of Austin Hall and overlooks the Sam Houston Memorial Museum.
comments powered by