Jewel Garden

1741 University Avenue
Map | News | ID#:

Timeline

1948 Constructed


The delightful, and somewhat hidden Jewel Garden, west of Austin Hall.


The Jewel Garden is an outdoor area located on the western side of Austin Hall.

Presented by the senior class of 1948, the area was orignally a dangerous and unsightly mud slope. With the assistance of campus beautician Grace Longino the area now includes a sunken fountain and flowerbed. Its name stems from the various precious stones decorating the ground. The model for the statue was student cheerleader Ruth Whisenhant.


comments powered by Disqus
Presented 2003-2015 | buildingshsu is an independent website and not affiliated with sam houston state university.