Rather Communication Building

1804 Avenue J
Map | News | ID#:

Timeline

Sep. 1983 Construction began
Nov. 1983 Construction halted
Jan. 1984 Constructed resumed
1985 Construction complete
Sep. 14, 1987 KSHU moves to 90.5 mHz, 3000 watts
1994 Renamed for Rather

Namesake

Architect

Contractor(s)


The southeast corner of the new Communication Building from the 1985 Alacalde.


The 165-foot KSHU tower (360 feet above sea level) stands on the east side of the building.


Sources


The Rather Communication Building is located on the quadrangle in the central part of campus.

Built on the site of the women's gymnasium, the Communication Building had a somewhat rocky start getting off the ground.  In November 1983, just two months after construction began, workers found evidence of honeycombing, or air pockets, in the concrete.  After demolishing the west wall and analyzing the rest of the building, construction was able to resume in early 1984.

The building houses the School of Mass Communication, including offices for the Houstonian and broadcast studios for the campus radio and television station, KSHU, which had previously been housed in the Peabody Building.


comments powered by Disqus
Presented 2003-2015 | buildingshsu is an independent website and not affiliated with sam houston state university.