The Templeton Building is located the intersection of Avenue J and 17th Street.
1003 17th Street
Map | News | ID#:
||Constructed as Kampus Korner
||Repurposed for Residence Life
|Jul. 26, 2011
||Residence Life moves to Lone Star Hall
|May 16, 2012
||Repurposed for SHSU Online
||Renamed for Templeton
Arleigh B. Templeton
A one-story Kampus Korner during the 1960s.
An aerial from the mid-to-late 1970s shows the building now with a second story.
From 1996-2004 the building was known as the University Advancement Center (UAC).
The roof of the buiding.
By the time of our March 2012 visit to campus, Residence Life had moved to Lone Star Hall and this structure was in the process of getting new tenants, leaving bare the locations where letters that spelled “University Advancement Center” and “Residence Life” had once been displayed.
The building originally housed Kampus Korner, an off-campus book and all-purpose store for students. Photographs from the 1960s indicate it was a one-story building, but was remodeled to include a second story by the late 1970s.
Maps from the early 1980s identify it as home of the alumni office.
After additional remodeling (possibly after it was purchased by the university) the building became the University Advancement Center (UAC) in 1996, housing the offices of University Advancement and Public Relations.
In 2004 UAC functions were moved to the Administration Building and Residence Life relocated from Gidley House. Residence Life moved to a permanent location within Lone Star Hall in 2011.
In Spring 2012 it became home of SHSU Online and the Distance Education and Learning Technologies for Academics (DELTA) Center. In summer 2012 the building was renamed in honor of Templeton.
comments powered by