Thomason Building

Location

1831 University Avenue
Map | ID#:


Timeline

1952:
Constructed

1979:
Renovated

Feb. 18, 2011:
Honeycutt Agriculture Teacher Education Classroom dedicated.

Dec. 11, 2012:
Schumann Agricultural Sciences Classroom dedication.


News


Demographics

Namesake:
John Thomason

Architect:
Wirtz, Calhoun & Tungate

Contractor:
Unknown


About

The Thomason Building a four-story academic building located on the western side of the main quadrangle between Austin Hall and the Evans Complex.

Constructed as the Graphic Arts building, since the demolition of the nearby Industrial Arts Building in the early 1980s, the building has housed the Industrial Arts and Agricultural Sciences programs. The Department of Agricultural Sciences and Engineering Technology will move to the Pirkle Engineering Technology Center once that building is complete.

The bottom floor houses the Sam Houston Press & Copy Center, the university's in-house printing and copying facility.

The 2008 Campus Master Plan Executive Summary identified the building as a long-term demolition canididate [1]. However, by the 2013 master plan update it was decided that the building would remain and undergo renovations to become administrative offices [2].

Photographs



Sources

[1] 2008 SHSU Campus Master Plan Executive Summary
[2] 2013 SHSU Campus Master Plan Update

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

About the site

The Buildings of Sam Houston State University website documents the physical changes of the SHSU campus in Huntsville from its inception in 1879 through tomorrow. The alumnus-run site details changes to the academic, residential, and historical buildings and other prominent landmarks.