Water Tower

Central campus
Map | News | ID#:

Timeline

1910s Constructed
Mid-1950s Demolished


The 1917 Alcalde relates a humorous story from Edward Kilman about members of the senior class climbing to the top of the water tank after midnight and painting "Senior Class '17" in large, bold letters. The next morning when the seniors awoke they were horrified to see their handiwork painted over, replaced with "Junior Class '17" and a flag waving from the very top of the tank.


Sources


The university Water Tower stood east of the main quadrangle, southeast of the Education Building, in the vicinity of what is now the Farrington Building.

The water tower was one of many items removed for construction projects in the late 1950s: the greek theater was removed and paved over and the frame gymnasium was demolished to make way for a new brick-and-mortar building.


comments powered by Disqus
Presented 2003-2015 | buildingshsu is an independent website and not affiliated with sam houston state university.