S. R. Warner
Selden Richard Warner was a long-time member of the biology faculty and the first coach of the Bearkat football team.
A native of Virginia, Warner attended the College of William and Mary (BS, 1910), Cornell Univeristy (MS, 1923), and the University of Chicago (Ph.D., 1925) – the first member of the SHSU faculty to hold a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
Joining the biology department in 1912, Warner eventually served as chair of the department until his initial retirement in 1947; at the urging of the administration, he returned to teach and lead the department from 1949 to 1952, when Frank Cowan was hired as his replacement. Warner became one of the foremost authorities on plant ecology of East Texas and developed a 15,000-speciman herbarium; his research was ultimately destroyed in a 1978 fire in the Halley Building.
He coached the Bearkats for two seasons (1912-13) with an overall record of 5-4-1, and a later founded Huntsville’s first golf course.
Warner served as Acting President of SHSTC for two years during World War II.
Through the efforts of a foundation created by his family in 1984, a new herbarium named in honor of Warner exists today in the Drain Building. The Wilson-Warner Scholarship was established in 1994 as a memorial to S.C. Wilson, Logan Wilson, and S.R. Warner.
comments powered by Disqus